Any chef would tell you that mutton as a main component and galangal as a spice component are the hardiest ingredients to cook with. This mutton stock is absolutely different. It uses unique flavors and herbs and even comes out with a fascinating bold red color. This recipe uses almost half the ingredients otherwise used in a conventional mutton stock. An amazing evening appetizer with needless to announce the massive health benefits. An MCMH G-man original recipe. Cook on !!
….need to know (food details)
- Number of people served : 2
- Preparation time : 60 to 75 minutes
….and we need (ingredients)
- Mutton cubes 100 to 150 gms : Healthiest broth is prepared with mutton. It builds bones and is abundant in calcium.
- Beetroot cubes 1 cup : High in fibre, Vitamin C and manganese to help in immunity, bones, liver, kidney etc. Beet gives a bright and cheerful color to this stock.
- Celery chopped 1 cup : One of the healthiest foliage & excellent antioxidant. It gives good bitter pungency to the stock.
- Galangal chopped 1 teaspoon : Again an antioxidant, antibacterial and antifungal spice. It tastes earthy and citrus.
- Leek shoots chopped 1/2 cup : Onion fragrance without the strong pungency. Good source of fibre and antioxidants.
- Garlic chives chopped 1 teaspoon : Milder than garlic but with full immunity building, disease fighting benefits.
- Butter 1 tablespoon : Greasing agent in this soup. Probably the healthiest form of fat known.
- Salt to taste : Ideally 3/4th teaspoon should be good
….time to cook ‘n roll (cooking instructions)
- Heat the butter in a pressure cooker over medium flame till it fully melts. Will take 60 to 90 seconds max.
- Add chopped leeks and stir saute’ for 3 to 4 minutes. By now the onions would be reddish-brown
- Add the garlic chives and galangal and stir for further 4 to 5 minutes till they are soft and soggy. Galangal is very hardy, if it requires further cooking then do so.
- Add salt and beetroot now and cook for further 5 to 8 minutes. Cook till the entire filler is soft and soggy and cuts with the side press of a spoon easily. Should look mushy and pulpy.
- Add the mutton pieces to it. Mutton should always be added when at room temperature for proper cooking. Keep it under running tap to normalize if it’s been taken off the freezer. Cook for 25 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add 5 cups of water and chopped celery in it. Mix well.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook on high flame for 10 to 12 minutes till it sounds 4 whistles.
- Lower the flame to low and now cook for 6 whistles, whatever time it takes. Then switch off the gas flame and let the pressure normalize for 15 minutes before opening the lid of the cooker.
- The mutton pieces should be well split, the spices should have dissolved and the celery marginalized by now.
- Serve steaming and let the flavor float throughout the house. People will come asking for sure !!
Storage : 1 week refrigeration allowed in this.
Missing Something ? : You can replace chives for garlic cloves, galangal for ginger and leek shoots for green onion shoots. These would work though the flavors will deepen a bit.