This recipe will make people take note for sure. There’s no ingredient tough to catch. While the pine nuts are a pain to individually sort, they are worth their bit in the marmalade. The candy orange rinds only need throwaway orange peels and little of your effort. You don’t normally get this marmalade in the stores so they stand out well. As always, jams and marmalades make the kids at all those cereals and breads which they normally wouldn’t. It’s an assured hit recipe !
….need to know (food details)
- Number of people served : It’s a jam, go ahead spread as much sweetness as you can !!
- Preparation time : 45 minutes
- Serving size : Big dollops of sweetness
….and we need (ingredient)
- Cherry tomatoes 25 in numbers : Has high sugar concentration so is very sweet and cute to look at too. I grow them in pots and in my garden, but they are easily available at stores as well. Packed with powerful nutrients like Vitamin A, C and K and potassium.
- Pinenuts (Chilgoza), peeled, washed, dried 2 tablespoons : Little pine nuts are good energy boosters and have anti ageing antioxidants. They are a must on many sweets too due to their mild crunch woody flavor.
- Sugar 2 and 1/2 cups : Use white sugar only, else the texture of the jam will be spoilt.
- Cinnamon stick 2 inches : Natural earthly sweetner and a great antioxidant. Fights diabetes and heart diseases too.
- Orange rinds 2 tablespoons : Check out my recipe of Orange rinds to know how this is made. It is a fabulous candy in many marmalades, custard and other puddings.
- Lemon juice 1 tablespoon : The prime citrus is used in 70% of the dishes that I make. Great for Vitamin C, hydration, skin quality, weight loss and digestion. As everytime, lemon juice adds the ‘Xing’ in the dish.
- Cloves 8 : Again a master spice with strong astringent and a sweet bitter flavor, clove is great toothache, infections, inflammations and tissue wear & tear.
….time to cook ‘n roll (cooking instructions)
- Peeling the tomatoes by blanching : Boil 2 cups water. Take off flame. Do regular blanching of the tomatoes by making them have alternate dips in the boiling water and cold water 3 times each alternatively and then setting aside. Put small cuts on top of the tomatoes. Squeeze out the seeds and the inner pulp and skin off the small tomatoes too.
- Now heat 1 and 1/2 cup water in a pan. at it’s boil, add sugar and cook for 4 minutes.
- Coarsely grind cloves and cinnamon and add to the sugar syrup. Stir well.
- Add lemon juice and stir further for a minute.
- Add orange rinds to it and stir more for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to it and cook for 10 minutes further on medium flame. Reduce the flame occasionally to not excessively reduce the syrup.
- Add the pine nuts and switch off the flame and allow the jam to cool.
- On cooling put all the jam into a sterilized jar and plan for many happy treats for many months to come !
Storage : 18 months with preservative. You can add 1 teaspoon sodium benzoate (available at common supermarts) mixed well with water.
Missing Something ? : You can supplement pine nuts with moistened and peeled almonds each broken into 4.