A most visually thrilling dish with amazing tummy fill and an undeniable taste. Rich and healthy and unbelievably easy to prepare it gives a strange satisfaction to the cook as well. “Youngsters of all ages” will be hooked on to the platter till the last tomato disappears. Since I pluck the tomatoes from my garden, I can choose the size, the firmness and the color to max the delight of my patrons 🙂 !! You’ll enjoy serving this and be queerly amused to watch them disappear within minutes..
….need to know (food details)
- Number of people served : 3 to 4
- Preparation time : 45 minutes total
- Serving size : 2 to 3 each
….and we need (ingredients)
- Tomatoes (medium to large) 8 :
- Onion chopped 2 :
- Garlic chopped 5 to 6 cloves :
- Potatoes boiled and mashed 4 :
- Ginger chopped 2 inches :
- Coriander chopped 2 to 3 tablespoons :
- Garam masala 1 teaspoon :
- Cumin 1 & 1/2 teaspoon :
- Oil vegetable 2 tablespoon : Preferably a light one so as not to interfere in taste and fragrance and just provide the greasing required.
….time to cook ‘n roll (preparing instructions)
- Slice off the tops of the tomatoes in a cap form and remove the pulp from inside. Keep all three derivatives i.e. pulp, main shell and the cap separately to be used later in the dish.
- Heat the oil in a pan till it smokes a bit. Add the chopped onions and the garlic till the onions turn golden brown. All on medium flame. Add ginger and stir for 30 seconds.
- Now add the mashed potatoes, the tomato pulp, garam masala and salt and mix properly. It should cook well for 6 to 7 minutes again on medium flame only. Raising the flame level will burn the veggies.
- Take this stuffing off the flame and allow to cool only enough for you to handle with fingers but not enough to douse the flavors.
- Fill this stuffing in the tomatoes evenly and top the shell with the earlier removed caps. Use a toothpick to secure the caps to the filled shells properly.
- Now heat oil again in the same pan. After 30 seconds on high reduce the flame to medium and add the cumin seeds. Let the cumin seeds crackle and sputter and then add the stuffed tomatoes in the pan.
- Turn the tomatoes and let them roll over. They are well secured with the toothpick. Now cover the pan and let them cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Now take them off and platter them hot with coriander garnish. Watch the delights around !!
Storage : 1 week refrigeration allowed easily.
Missing Something ? : You can green chillies to the mashed potatoes if you want to increase the Xing quotient. Many folks also add boiled peas to the potatoes too. Both iterations allowed 🙂