Honest admission ! I didn’t know that flax gave anything but linen shirts before I came across the flax seeds in the super mart. Though I picked it up in an impulse, it took me nearly 4 months to find an absolutely lip smacking use for it. This condiment is so simple to prepare and can exhume you in absolute pungency or the love of it. Read on and thank me later after you’ve made and relished it 🙂
….need to know (food details)
- Number of people served : It’s a chutney dip, will serve at least 10 family snacks
- Preparation time : 10 minutes of cooking + 3 minutes of grinding
….and we need (ingredients)
- Flax seeds 1 cup : Flax has a very earthy and nutty essence and is extremely rich in omega 3 fatty acids, proteins and vitamin B.
- Garlic cloves 1 cup (will contain about 25 to 30 cloves) : The king of pungency ‘garlic’ is a good astringent and has medicinal properties of fighting sickness like common cold, sore throats etc.
- Til (Sesame) seeds 2 tablespoon : Sesame improves blood pressure, burns fats and is a good source of iron. It enhances the nutty flavor in the dip.
- Dried red chillies to taste (I picked 10) : In such a dip where we are looking to project the earthly essence, it’s always good to avoid processed and ground red chilli powder and make your own crudely pounded one.
- Sesame oil 2 tablespoon : Same essence and benefits as that of the seeds of sesame.
- Crude salt (I used ground black salt) : Crude Earthy Nutty ….. this just adds to it
….time to cook ‘n roll (preparing instructions)
- Heat the sesame oil in a pan. Add garlic to it and saute lightly.
- Now add chillies to it and saute till the chillies are crispy and crushable.
- Take this off the flame now and allow it to cool.
- Mix the flax seeds, the rock salt, til seeds and the above cooled garlic and chilli mixture.
- Grind it all in a mixer. Be sure to take a medium to large size jar for mixing since anything smaller would not contain the flax seeds which would expand considerably on being crushed.
Storage : 18 months easily in a refrigerator.
Missing Something ? : Can replace the black salt with sea salt or the himalayan pink salt. Any crude salt would be good since that would have the earthy essence.