Cheese balls filled with spaghetti ! This is the kind of party snack that doesn’t need much convincing to promote among high energy and loud kids on a weekend afternoon or any long evening. They pack such an energy punch alongwith high grease flavor that it is an instant hit amongst kids of all ages ( 6 to 66 😉 )
….need to know (food details)
- Number of people served : 4
- Preparation time : 20 minutes preparation + 20 minutes of cooking
- Serving size : 2 would for an average adult or a hungry child. Remember ! it’s loaded with cheese.
….and we need (ingredients)
- Butter 2 tablespoon : Good butter has high soluble fats which are a better grease than margarine.
- Wheat flour (maida) 1/2 cup : Maida provides the layer of the batter material.
- Spaghetti boiled 1 cup : Well made spaghetti is a good source of vitamins and minerals if they are made of whole grains. They are a fun food for the kids and a great filler to our dish.
- Peas boiled and crushed 1/3rd cup : Peas are a great health food. They are believed to be low fat, low calorie and anti aging food. They also act against alzheimer and arthritis. They add the mush to our mash in this dish.
- Oregano dried 1/2 teaspoon : Bitter and pungent oregano is a great antioxidant and hence should be added to fried food. It also has anti fungal and antibacterial qualities.
- Cheese 3 cubes : With all the calcium and protein benefits, cheese here is added for it’s creamy texture and nutty essence.
- Bread crumbs 1/2 cup : Crumbs stick to the batter to prevent the filler to burst out of the ball.
- Milk 1 cup : Creamy and sticky wetness would be best to add the health benefits in this deep fried fish.
- Oil light vegetable only : This would not interfere with the flavor
- Salt to taste : Keep it low. I suggest less than a pinch for 2 cheese balls. This would enhance the flavor of other seasoning.
….time to cook ‘n roll (preparing instructions)
- Crush the peas with a light rolling pin so as not to mash them completely.
- Grate the cheese cubes and keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a pan till it melts. Add the flour and cook on low flame it the maida (flour) turns pinkish.
- Add milk to this and mix well continuously stirring so as not to forms clumps. Cook like this on low flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the flour thickens into a loose batter. Then take it off the flame and allow to cool.
- Till then mix the boiled spaghetti, crushed peas, the cheese, oregano and salt and shape them into fist size balls. (fists better be a kids and not a boxers 🙂 )
- Take each ball and dip them into the cold batter and roll it into the bread crumbs. Do this routine for all the alls and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Bring to high temperature and the deep fry the balls.
- Serve hot and flavorful
Storage : You can refrigerate the cheese balls (non fried) for a week easily and deep fry them as and when required.
Missing Something ? : You can skip the peas and replace the oregano with a seasoning of your choice too.