It’s a pleasant weather during monsoons in North India. There’s hyper activity due to friendly weather and that results in some excellent rewards to the kids like dollops of ice cream 😀 . When these dollops go out of control, then we hear mild coughs and worried parents. That’s when the following recipes work wonders. They’ll make the kids go lip smacking and calmly takes away the parental worry of mild coughs and shivers and injects in a booster of metabolism in all. Simple and nice, this stock of lamb trotters or paya as called in India, is so tasty that it is a literal delicacy in local shacks.
Try this and I promise that you’ll want to go wild enjoying this with your own indigenous variations 🙂
…need to know (food details)
- Number of people served : 1 bowl, 1 for the treat
- Preparation time : 25 minutes
- Serving size : 1/2 to 1 bowl each
….and we need (ingredients)
- Lamb trotters, 3 to 4 : We
- Onion, chopped, red, 1 :
- Garlic cloves, 4 – 5 :
- Turmeric, 1/4th teaspoon :
- Cloves, 2 – 3 :
- Green Cardamom, 1 :
- Cinnamon, 1/2 inch :
- Salt, to taste :
- Ghee, 2 tablespoon :
- Red Chili Powder, 1/4th teaspoon :
- Pepper, black powder, 1/4th teaspoon :
- Coriander, 3 tablespoon :
- Garam Masala, 1/2 teaspoon :
- Lemongrass, handfull :
- Lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon :
….time to cook ‘n roll (preparing instructions)
- Wash and clean the trotters several times. Remember where they are located in the body and what use are they for and you’ll do sufficient cleaning am sure 🙂 . Boil the trotters now in 5 cups of water and keep aside.
- Chop and grind the onions and garlic cloves. Chopping just makes the grindig easy, right ?
- Take out the trotters (paya) from the stock. Heat the ghee in a pan till it completely melts. Add the trotters, chili, coriander and garam masala to it and cook well. Should take around 10 – 12 minutes of high to medium flame.
- Heat a pressure cooker on medium flame. To this add the paste prepared earlier (onion, garlic) and cook for 1 minute.
- To this add turmeric, cloves, green cardamom, cinnamon and salt and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the lamb trotters alongwith the masala in which it was cooked and stir further for a minute.
- Now add the crudely chopped lemongrass to this and stir for 30 seconds.
- Finally add the stock prepared in the first step of the recipe and shut the lid of the cooker.
- Pressure cook for 4 – 5 minutes on high flame and then switch off the flame. Open the lid after the pressure is released sufficiently.
- Serve hot after sqeezing lemon juice over it. Enjoy serving, the flavor would envelop the room, I guarantee 🙂
Storage : Please don’t. The ghee will saturate and the purpose of the shorba will be lost.
Missing Something ? : Try your iterations, open to creativity 🙂