Let me introduce you all to this wonderful new initiative from my loved one. Do check this out too and follow, there will surely be great posts rolling here ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmtCkBgnsCo https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn7n9nuI85fuaZZiblobDOA? https://www.facebook.com/gunnmaymarwaha/
This one is another of my indigenous garden to kitchen experiments that created the “MCMH Original Recipe” . Read on and try to believe it. You know that I am an avid gardner too. The effort that takes to create vegetables and flowers out of dry seeds is only next to parenting a child. So when it’s the time for fruitation, you would want your produce to be used to it’s maximum and respect every element edible or otherwise usable. This is exactly what made me use beet stalks in many ways. remember the beet stalk fries
Do try this one and I promise you’ll stand out unique when you discuss about it in a group. Enjoy !
…need to know (food details)
- Number of people served : Several happy lip smacking faces 🙂
- Preparation time : 15 minutes max.
….and we need (ingredients)
- Beet Stalks (stalks + leaves) chopped, 2 cups : Amazing earthly tasting veggie with high level of immunity boosting Vitamin C and with other benefits to bones, liver, kidneys etc. So what are the stalks that i use here. Pluck a beetroot plant off the ground. Most popularly used is the bulbous root, then there are the leaves which are a great alternative to spinach. Finally there are 1/4th to 1/2 inch thick stems which may vary from 4 to 7 inches in length which lie between the root and the leaves. I am using that here. I know we use to throw them away forever long back as we knew. But it is the healthiest and tastiest part of the plant as i have discovered.
- Garlic chopped, 1/2 cup : You will hardly find any of my recipes missing garlic. Pungency is the reason why we use this allicin rich clove which combats sickness and common cold.
- Green Chilies, 3-4 large, slit & deseeded : Fresh green chilies from my garden add to the fresh heat and mild bitter component while adding benefits of eyes and skin.
- Coarse Salt, 1 tablespoon : Use a rough pink salt, it is a good sodium and magnesium provider. Also aids in digestion and dissolution of food particles.
- Peppercorns, 1/2 teaspoon : Hot and mildly pungent, black pepper is good for digestion, skin, respiration and is a good antioxidant too. On tables across the world salt n pepper are partners in relation.
- Yellow Mustard Seeds, 1 teaspoon : Mustard tastes from sweet to sour, bitter to steaming hot. But it’s great for digestion and respiration and strengthens bones and teeth. I use it here for the bitter sour essence.
- Cloves, 4 to 5 : Cloves is extremely beneficial for it being anti cancer, anti diabetic, pain killing and breath cleansing properties. It has a distinct pungent, bitter essence.
- Bay Leaf, 2 : Bay leaf is great for joints and skin and are packed with Vitamin A & C and many other minerals like iron, potassium and manganese. They are pungent and bitter in taste. I grow bay leaves in my garden so I can tell you that the fresh ones and dried ones are quite different. Use the dried ones only please. Bay leaves can grow into small trees giving lifetime supply 🙂
- Star Anise, 1 : It has a strong licorice essence and helps in digestion.
- Red Chili Powder, 1/2 teaspoon : Dried red chilies have a sharper, earthier essence then the fresh green ones. They are a good source of Vitamin C, A and E hence beneficial for skin and hair.
- Vinegar, White, 1/2 cup : Vinegar preserves the flavors in my dishes very well, so I don’t mind frequenting it. Prime reason for it’s preservative qualities are the amounts of acetic acid and anti bacterial present in it. And yes of course, the sour essence is brought out very well with vinegar. It is an amazing preservative.
- Heeng, Asafoetida, 1 pinch : Heeng controls blood flow and sugar level and further adds pungency.
- Jaggery, 100 grams : Jaggery is an amazing anti oxidant and helps the body fight against infections. It is like a buttery liquid sugar and is good to mix in food in powder or liquid forms.
….time to cook ‘n roll (preparing instructions)
- In a hard bottomed pan or a skillet, heat the Jaggery Vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon Salt and cook for 3 minutes on medium till it gets dissolved into a solution. You may take a couple of more minutes if required. Now set this aside for cooling.
- Now in another pan, heat some oil (2 tablespoon of any vegetable oil would do).
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and mustard to it on medium. Stir till it sputters.
- Add veggies to it one by one starting with chilies and cook for 2 progressive minute each.
- Add all the dry and whole spices now and cook till the spices are well immersed.
- Now set down and bottle once cold.
- In this bottle, now pour the vinegar solution made earlier.
- Secure the bottle cap well and shake hard to mix everything inside well.
- Place this bottle in sun for 10 days to sun bake well, while remembering to shake it before every sunbath 🙂
- You have your most unique pickle ready !
Storage : You can enjoy this for around 12 months for sure, if you do not gobble it all before so.
Missing Something ? : You may add some whole curry leaves to the pickle to give an amazing South Indian recall.