Hope you’ve all gone through and subscribed this wonderful new initiative from my loved one. Do check this out too and follow, there will surely be great posts rolling here ..
Think of a family which loves its daily soup and think of me who loves to grow greens in my garden. There will be some creative combinations indeed. We would not like to throw away stuff in the composter (which we have recently placed in our backyard) as long as there is any chance of using its flavor and richness in our food. You remember how I use the beetroot stalks in Cranberry Pickle and Sweet Beet Stalks Pickle and also Fries . It’s almost winters here and the large elephant eared broccolis will be coming up if all goes well. Look in the pictures how they are a gardener’s delight with beautiful green flower heads. Also, around the same time the celery will also start getting tall and harvest ready.
With the same spirit of using all possible and stirring out kitchen creatives, I bring this cream soup to enjoy.
…need to know (food details)
- Number of people served : 1 a bowl, let that be the rule
- Preparation time : 25 minutes max.
….and we need (ingredients)
- Celery chopped, handfull, about 5 to 6 stalks would be good : I grow celery for around 5 months in a year and they grow well in tubs, bags and small planters. They have one of the healthiest foliage & excellent antioxidant. It gives good bitter pungency to the stock.
- Table Butter, 1 tablespoon : The cheesy butter absorbs the basil’s herb flavor very well. Regular table butter is a good source of fats soluble vitamins and saturated fats. They are better in taste and health than margarine.
- Onions, diced, 1 : As in Red Onions for us Indians, strong, acidic and bitter. That’s what a good red onion is supposed to be. They are also good sources of Vitamin C and Iron and are good for hair, skin and help in weight-loss.
- Garlic minced, 3 to 4 cloves : The King Pungent. Pungency is the reason why we use this allicin rich clove which combats sickness and common cold.
- Broccoli stems, 500 grams : Broccoli’s health benefits and earthy flavors are amazing, esp. for kids. I use a rather peculier portion of the plant. The stems. I use the insides of the soft broccoli stems by peeling off the hard outer skin. It tastes like cucumber. you may also use it in salads and many other preparations.
- Oregano, 1/2 teaspoon : Bitter and pungent oregano is a great antioxidant and hence should be added to fried food. It also has anti fungal and antibacterial qualities.
- Bay leaf, 1 : Bay leaf is great for joints and skin and are packed with Vitamin A & C and many other minerals like iron, potassium and manganese. They are pungent and bitter in taste. I grow bay leaves in my garden so I can tell you that the fresh ones and dried ones are quite different. Use the dried ones only please. Bay leaves can grow into small trees giving lifetime supply 🙂
- Milk / Cream, 1 cup : A cream bowl would be better since the texture of the soup would be more to your liking and would require less thickenning while cooking.
- Salt, to taste : Regular table salt would do good.
- Black Pepper Powder, 1/4th teaspoon : Good proportion of salt and pepper are great anti oxidants too.
….time to cook ‘n roll (preparing instructions)
- Take a pressure cooker and heat it on a medium flame with pen lid. Put the butter in it and melt well.
- Add onions to it and brown them well. To this add chopped celery and garlic minced and stir cook for 3 minutes.
- Add chopped broccoli stems and stir further for 2 miutes. Now add oregano, bay leaves and stir for a minute.
- Now add 3 cups water and shut the pressure cooker and cook on low flame for 10 to 12 minutes. Switch the gas off after this.
- Now open the lid after the steam has relaxed and switch the gas on to medium heat. To this add milk or cream and cook for 10 minutes further. This should reduce the broth to a nice creamy fluid about 40% of how you started earlier.
- All the while stirring it, add the salt and black pepper to it.
- Serve steaming now. Do not garnish.
Storage : Nopes, this is a cook and consume recipe. Holding it might sour the cream or thicken the butter.
Missing Something ? : This is an Orginal G-Man, MCMH recipe. This is my creativity, you may try yours 🙂