Thanx a lot for the tremendous support this wonderful new initiative from my loved one. Do check this out too and follow, there will surely be great posts rolling here ..
I have always admired the wisdom of the traditional homemakers due to their practical ability to churn out the right dishes for the right moods and within the handful of ingredients in the kitchen. They are the real goto folks who spare not a thought before getting their hands moving and with a confident smile on their faces clearly projecting “I know whatsup and I’ll take good care”.
This little snack has been a treat for many a parties, gatherings and tea sittings and has never failed to win an applause. These are so quick and simple to prepare that you can almost make them while having tea with your guests. It uses the intrinsic flavors of the core ingredients and allows them to blend with any herb that can be dry mixed with it. These look so much like the Tricolor Tiffins which I made earlier. Read on and have a great tea time snack recipe or a kids tiffin recipe ready !!
…need to know (food details)
- Number of people served : 4 to 5 pinwheels each !!
- Preparation time : 15 minutes max.
….and we need (ingredients)
- Carrot, grated, 1 cupful : Carrots are high source of iron and anti oxidants and have sweet and earthy flavor . Color of the carrots do not matter here. Just don’t let them be black ones.
- Cheese, grated, 1/3rd cup : With all the calcium and protein benefits, cheese here is added for it’s creamy texture and nutty essence.
- Table salt : Keep it low. I suggest less than a pinch per pinwheel. This would enhance the flavor of other seasoning.
- Pepper, ground : Good proportion of salt and pepper are great anti oxidants too.
- Oregano, dried : With .Bitter and pungent oregano is a great antioxidant and hence should be added to fried food. It also has anti fungal and antibacterial qualities. Interestingly, oregano when dried dose’nt loose much essence.
- Bread slices, 6 to 8 : No specific reason why I chose wheat bread. It’s just the one that we use at our place and that was what I had with me then. BTW, wheat bead is said to have all the great nourishment of whole wheat like fiber, protein, antioxidants and iron.
….time to cook ‘n roll (preparing instructions)
- Combine the grated apple/ carrot/ beetroot with salt and keep aside overnight in a fridge. This will make the grated mix shed water which can then be squeezed off and drained.
- To the squeezed off grated mix, add the dried herb/ oregano.
- Trim the bread slices by their edges. Now roll them hard using a rolling pin such that it becomes a thin yet single pieces. Meaning, that single bread slices should not be broken while rolling.
- Now spread the grated cheese on this slice well to cover.
- Lay out and spread the grated mix on this slice well.
- Pick up one length of the slice and start rolling tightly. Some surplus mix might falls off. Let it fall.
- Once these slices have been rolled you may pin them with tooth picks to keep them together and prevent them from opening and falling apart.
- If your slices are big then you may want to chop the pinwheels into smaller width ones.
- Enjoy !!
Storage : Nil . The bread will get stale if kept longer than an hour.
Missing Something ? : You may add dried parsley to the grated mix.