Thanx a lot for the amazing response we have to this wonderful new initiative from my loved one. Do check this out too and follow, there will surely be great posts rolling here .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmtCkBgnsCo
I’ve always been intrigued by these so called surplus fish, relegated to side dishes and sauces only. My challenge has been to bring anchovy to the main platter. Yes, it’s a challenge to chew in the bones if you are/have a kid but not much so at all if the frying is appropriate.
Crossing my fingers I went ahead with this one, the fish being a mud sucker makes it a challenge to clean as well.
Trust me, it was all worth it. In a matter of minutes, was a very tasty, crunchy fish fritters there could be. Party On !
….need to know (food details)
- Number of people served : 3 to 4.
- Preparation time : 20 minutes
- Serving size : Bowlfuls each.
….and we need (ingredients)
- Anchovy, 500 grams : These are extremely pungent on their own so need good cooking. It’s rich in proteins and Omega 3 fatty acids as well.
- Salt, 3/4th teaspoon : Use the coarse sea salt for authenticity and it’s minerals.
- Oil, 1 cup, to deep fry : I do not mind mustard oil here due to it’s pungency. Works well with these fries.
- Paprika, 1 teaspoon : Light and bitter with good amount of vitamin e and a strong antioxidant.
- Black Pepper Powder, 1/3rd teaspoon : Good proportion of salt and pepper are great anti oxidants too.
- White Flour, 1/2 cup : This is just clarified wheat flour. While it’s very friendly to cook with, it’s a zero benefit batter since it gets stripped of all it’s nutrients while it is being cleaned repeatedly.
….time to cook ‘n roll (preparing instructions)
- Wash the anchovy (really well) x 2 . Means twice at least. Else you might feel the mud in your fries.
- Sprinkle the paprika, black pepper powder and the salt and mix well with the anchovies.
- Sprinkle the white flour (clarified wheat flour) over the fish and coat well so as to form a batter covering.
- Now heat the oil in a pan and bring to evaporation (i.e. till you see fumes).
- Put in the anchovies in the pan taking care that they do not stick to each other.
- Deep fry now till they look golden brown in color.
- Serve hot with your favorite ketchups or chutneys and enjoy the sumptuous treat.
Storage : Storing will make it loose the crunch.
Missing Something ? : You can add some dried basil to the flour. Squeezing a lemon would work wonders as well !!