Quick, easy and different seafood lead me to look for some South Indian cuisine and as always, I tried my variations to suit my table. The squids are a food of which I use only the tubes or tentacles chopped in small rings. They came out amazingly well. Though till date, I’ve not tried another dish with squids, I’ve had the culinary delight to make this one 2 to 3 times over. They come out as a great evening snacks and the kids love it too (they love everything fried as it is, don’t they 🙂 ). Do try, am sure there’ll be lip smacking faces all around once you serve !
….need to know (food details)
- Number of people served : 500 grams of squid rings would be a treat for 4
- Preparation time : 2 hours of marinate + 6 minutes of frying
….and we need (ingredients)
- Squid Rings 500 grams : Rings are separately available at local fish markets or as whole tubes (which are the tentacles of the squids). If you get whole squids, you can chop off the tentacles about an inch away from the main body of the squid and then chop them into rings. Calamari has a mild sweet and nutty flavor with a firm meat. Like most seafood, it is high in Omega 3 fatty acids, Vitamin B complex, magnesium, zinc, calcium and iron. Just make sure you buy fresh, clean properly and buy always from reliable sources.
- Cornflour 4 tablespoon : Cornflour’s starchiness binds the spices to the squid rings. It also absorbs the milk to sweeten the batter well. Always choose a good quality of cornflour, it will good source of fiber and an antioxidant.
- Garlic mashed 5 cloves : 70% of my dishes have the “King Pungent” in them with tremendous health benefits like preventing sickness, common cold and regulating blood pressure.
- Lemon juice 1 tablespoon : This is a great digestive with Vitamin C providing skin and hair freshness and aiding in digestion and weight loss. Brings the essential sour taste to the dish.
- Milk 4 tablespoon : Milk is an earthy condenser to the marinade in this dish. It softens the otherwise firm meat of the squid.
- Parsley chopped 2 teaspoon : Freshly plucked parsley act as wonderful garnish with amazing breath freshening properties too. I have moss green, dark curled parsley almost all throughout the year in my garden.
- Salt ‘n Pepper : To taste
- Olive oil : Enough to deep fry
….time to cook ‘n roll (preparing instructions)
- Marinate the squid rings with milk, salt and pepper and mashed garlic cloves and keep aside for 2 hours. You will see that the milk would have condensed by then and the spices well immersed into the squid rings.
- Now coat the squid rings in cornflour and salt.
- Heat the oil in a pan on high for 2 minutes.
- Deep fry the squid rings in this oil till they are golden brown in color.
- Take off the squid rings from the skittle and place them in a tray lined with paper towels. This will soak dry the extra oil from the squids. Sprinkle the lemon juice over them.
- Garnish with parsley and serve hot along with your favorite sauce. I use the Cherry Tomato Ketchup in Basil which I make for the entire season in one shot.
Storage : No storing please. The food is as fast as the squid in an ocean itself 🙂
Missing Something ? : You can choose to use white pepper powder instead of black. That’s almost all the change you can do with this. Happy Cooking !!